Microsoft rolled out a new build 10549 for Windows 10 Mobile insiders.
The new build brings a handful of improvements but especially the new display setting option that allows you to fit more content on your screen.
But it is important to note that to get the new build, you would need to roll back to Windows phone 8.1 and then update to build 10549. that's the only way right now to get the build. current users of build 10536 will have to wait for Microsoft to fix the upgrade path to allow build 10536 users to upgrade directly to 10549 without going back to WP8.1. Microsoft says this will be fixed in the coming week.
Also, it is important to note that during the update process, you will encounter a black screen on your phone for a few minutes, be patient. it's not frozen, just let it sit and eventually your phone will come up!
In the meantime, you can go through the WP8.1 upgrade path to get it (if you aren't patient)
Here's the changelog for the new build
- Cortana is now available for Australian, Canadian and Japanese users
- Skype is now integrated into the messaging app
- Diverse emojis are now accessible
There is also a list of what's fixed in this build...
- The Windows Camera app no longer crashes when certain applications launch it to capture a picture.
- We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard would get dismissed every time you sent a message, which made sending 2+ texts in quick succession difficult.
- We fixed an issue where swiping away a notification was causing the notification icon to appear top of your screen.
- Screenshots were not being properly saved resulting in many top social messenger apps such as WeChat, WhatsApp, LINE, WeiBo, and QQ unable to find saved screenshots. This has been fixed.
- We fixed an issue where you couldn’t launch apps saved on SD cards after reinserting your SD card.
- Pinch to zoom should work properly in the Maps app now.
- We fixed an issue where trying to set a custom ring or text tone for a contact shows a black screen for 10 seconds, then does nothing.
- We have added back vibrate-only alarms.
- We have fixed call-blocking.
I managed to upload a quick hands on video on the new build 10549 running on my Lumia 640.
Check it out....
Check it out....
I like how you can now adjust the size of texts, apps and items on the display, I especially like how different apps behave when put in landscape mode, it's like easter eggs. I hope 3rd party devs take full advantage of it, for instance, take a look at how the messaging, email and people apps behave in landscape mode.
If you have a Lumia model with onscreen nav bar, you can now double tap on the nav bar to turn off the display (prior to this build, you had to use the power button to turn off the screen).