The Nokia Belle FP1 firmware update has begun rolling out for users of the Nokia 700 701 and 603.
Though it might not be immediately available for all users at once, but rather will be rolled out in batches (as usual).
This latest update to Nokia Belle is already featured on the upcoming Camera powerhouse and 41MP Image Beast, the Nokia 808 PureView.
You can get the update OTA (over-the-air) or via Nokia Suite.
The improvements included in this update are:
- Increase to the clock speed of the Nokia 701, 700 and 603 processor from 1GHz to 1.3GHz, a boost of 30%. The result is improved speed for processor-constrained tasks.
- A number of software optimisation have also been made that improve overall performance (smoother scrolling, apps open faster), memory management and graphics performance.
- New widgets like gallery widget, mechanical clock, mobile data tracker and more.
- New multitasking view, no more borders, app panes are now bigger and rectangular with live view.
Here's a video demo of the new FP1 on the Nokia 701:
More improvements include:
- No more "cancel" in menu (previously located in bottom right)
- The pull down notifications menu is now divided between activities (e.g. WiFi, Bluetooth, Mobile network, NFC) and notifications (missed calls, text messages and other alerts) and a button to clear all notifications with a single tap has also been added to the panel.
- Dolby Headphone / Dolby Digital Plus functionality provide an enhanced audio experience when using headphones. For content that has been encoded with Dolby Digital Plus audio.
- A new browser v8.2 is introduced. The main improvements are better support for HTML 5, The icon-based menu has been replaced by a text menu and history is now accessed through the star (favourites) icon, which along with the traditional bookmarks / favourites list, also houses a 'most visited sites' thumbnail view, in a tab panel.
|new multitasking view|
It is important to note that this update might not come to 1st gen Symbian ^3devices like the N8 C7 E7 due to hardware constraints, though it is said they will get update but not just to the level of 2nd gen Symbian^3 700 701 and 603.